Monday, July 6, 2015

Waltzing Matilda

Listening to the song Waltzing Matilda sung by Rod Stewart, Matilda crinkles her nose and smiles as I sing the words along. My mother in law played it for paul and I before Matilda was born. My mother in law smiled and said," isn't it lovely!" To which we both responded yes. But was actually hard at the time as I didn't know what occasion this would be played at. So being able to sing it to a vibrant happy baby means so much. I just can't believe she is three months old today. Which means she has been home just as long as she had been in the hospital. And what an interesting six weeks it has been.
Matilda and I have been enjoying getting to know each other and as I always say to her BFF. We have filled our time having lunch dates with friends and NICU nurses. We also have had follow up appointments. Her pediatrician was so pleased when she saw her. As she got the news about her condition and knows that they don't always turn out so lucky. We were actually dealing with Matilda's weight gain when we came home. I blame pier pressure in the NICU. Matilda was bigger than alot of the babies in there, so its only natural she might feel a bit self conscious about her weight ; )
Anyway we had to go to the doctor for a weight check from the Friday till the wednesday and luckily Matilda had gained weight so we were in the clear. We also went and saw Dr. Roden for matilda's surgery follow up. He was very pleased with her and mentioned to us that he had done alot of hernia repairs. One recently he did unfortunately the poor baby hardly had any lung, and did not survive. Hearing stories like this just reminds us how lucky we are and how different this all could have been. I recently joined an organization called cherubs which sponsors research for congenital diphragmatic hernia children. They actually have state representatives, Our rep in Texas lives in Dallas. Her daughter was born with it and is 23 now . She has been very supportive as I still get a bit anxious about everything. We went in for Matilda's 2 month check up and her weight was down again so I nursed her every hour with her regular 3 hr bottles. When we weighed in again she was back on track and when I had another weigh in just to check 3 weeks later she was exactly where she needs to be. So that made us very happy. As I always have the fear that she would be in the failure to thrive category and would need a feeding tube.
Other than that Matilda is a very happy little girl. Her face lights up when you talk to her. Its as if she knows how special she is and what a gift she has been given. Her little brother loves her so much. He calls her Da........which sounds like DuuuuH! So not the cute nickname I thought but actually its perfect for them. He tries to help in any way he can!
That's it from us! till next time



Siblings



Some our favorite Nurses

No comments:

Post a Comment